If you have a Junior troop it is a great time to teach your girls how to stay fit and healthy through games, worksheets and activities and earn the staying fit badge at the same time. This post will give you all the tools you need to do just that. Below are a few ideas to get you started.
Staying Fit Activity Booklet
Before jumping into some ideas to use at your meetings, would you rather just skip all the planning? If so, use the Staying Fit Activity Booklet to fulfill the requirements for this Junior Badge.This booklet will have activities that are hands on to keep the girls engaged while learning about different ways to keep fit with exercise, learn more about healthy foods with interactive games, understand the truth behind what is healthy, and how to stay fit at home with their families. With step by step activities, you can’t ask for a easier way to run your meeting. Learn more about this activity booklet and get yours today!
You may also be interested in these activity booklets:
- Junior Social Butterfly Activity Booklet
- Junior Savvy Shopper Activity Booklet
- Junior Scribe Activity Booklet
Other Fun Staying Fit Activities
Four Corner Exercising
Put the exercise type on the wall one in each corner of room, put different workouts on other side of paper for second round. Girls must choose a sign to stand next to. Then draw out one of the exercises, if they are standing in that corner they do not do the exercise,
everyone else must do the exercise they are next to, perform the exercise the number of times they are old (Example if they are 10 they do 10 reps) Once done girls choose a new corner to stand at and again choose a exercise. Do three rounds of this exercise and then flip paper over and do 4 different exercises. Then end the game by doing the elimination version, last person standing, if you call exercise they are standing by they are out have them do move before sitting down. Continue till only 1 left standing.
ROUND 2: Lunges, Knee lifts, Burpies, Squats
You can also try this card game which contains illustrations & instructions describing 50 upper, middle, lower, and full body exercises: Exercise Playing Cards with Guided Workouts
Do you Know what Fuels you?
Pass out the MyPlate illustration and have girls color the image like the directions state. Explain to the girls what the image means, MyPlate illustrates the five food groups that are the building blocks for a healthy diet using a familiar image—a place setting for a meal. Before you eat, think about what goes on your plate or in your cup or bowl. We should eat a variety of foods in order to get all the nutrients our body needs, including fruits, vegetables, grains, meat, beans, nuts and dairy products. We should also have variety in each group. For example, eating all different kinds of fruit is better for you than eating just apples. You should also try to eat whole, unprocessed foods as much as possible. For example, eating an apple is better than drinking apple juice.
Remembering Healthy Foods
Have girls get into a circle, Leader start holding a round fruit (orange, apple) says “Fruit are a great healthy food. A Vegetable I like is…” Then pass to next girl she must say what you just said plus add another fruit. So “Vegetables are a great healthy food. Vegetables like are carrots and celery is what second girl would say next girl would add another, if girl can not think of one or forgets order have her sit down, continue around circle till last person standing. Start with a different type of healthy food. Types of food to use are: green leafy vegetables, colorful vegetables, grains, proteins (meat, nuts and beans) fruit and dairy products.
Help girls learn more about portions and what you should eat. A deliciously fun game that supports MyPlate guidelines. Girls have to be the first to fill your plate with a balanced meal. They will learn to identify foods and create healthy meal. All the food cards have real-life photos. The game only includes 4 placemats so when we played it put girls into groups so we only had to buy one game. It has 50 food cards and a activity guide.
Get the game here: Learning Resources Healthy Helpings: A MyPlate Game
Glow Sticks Yoga/Relaxation Workouts in the Dark
Give each girl two glow sticks and do the below moves and exercises
- This partner stretch will allow the girls to be mindful of each other while they relax. Have the girls find a partner and sit on the floor. Say slowly and calmly to the girls “Face your partner, open your legs comfortably and touch your feet with your partner’s feet. Tell girls lean forward and grasp each other’s hands. One partner leans back, slowly pulling your partner forward. Now the second partner will lean back and pull their partner slowly forward.
- This exercise helps girls focus on breathing, helping them achieve rest and balance. Have the girls sit comfortably on the floor or mat. Slowly and calmly tell the girls “In the winter, bears hibernate in caves, sleeping peacefully. Sit up tall, close your eyes, and go inside. Through your nose, breathe in for a count of five, and then hold for a count of three. Breathe out for a count of five, then hold for a count of three.” Repeat this instruction 5 times. Then say, “Open your eyes and notice how you feel.” Be sure to allow girls time to finish each step after you say it.
- Have girl spread out so they can make big movements without hitting anyone. Explain that you are going to call out natural phenomena’s. As each word is called out, the girls should use there body and their voices to act out the word however they choose. They should continue making the movements until you call out the next word. You can call out the words as slowly or quickly as you like.
More Resources For My Leader Readers
I get asked a lot what other resources are out there on the internet for Leaders. I have done some digging over the years and have used many of the resources myself. I compiled a list of some great companies that sell patches, programs and also other bloggers offering amazing resources that may fit your needs even better than my site did. Checkout what I found.
Do you want more ideas like this one right in your inbox and be the first to be notified when new activity booklets are available?
Get a 10% discount code to use in the shop and a Juliette Low “Daisy” Bingo game when you sign up for the mailing list!