If your looking for ideas to make your meeting more fun while earning the Cadette Finding Common Ground badge, you have come to the right place. As you know when the girls have completed the badge they should be learning the strategies to bring people together even if there are differing opinions, thus the name finding common ground.
If you are searching and only need a few more ideas this post I share two great activities you can try with your girls to add to the fun of earning the badge. But if your struggling to even get started planning your meeting I would recommend the activity booklet from the it has everything you need to complete the requirements of badge. Below are a few ideas to get you started.
Cadette Finding Common Ground Activity Booklet
Before jumping into a few ideas, do you want to skip all the planning? If so, use the Cadette Finding Common Ground Activity Booklet to fulfill the requirements for this Cadette Badge. This booklet includes activities, games, and worksheets to allow your girls to take over the meeting.
Girls will work together to find common ground by exploring what they have in common with girls in your troop, learn how to debate, and find ways to persuade others to agree with them, work together in a activity to learn how to compromise on a issue, learn how to find a resolution to a issue with a mediator. The girls will have fun while learning the skills that are used in our government to help citizens with differing opinions find common ground.With a step by step activities, you can’t ask for a easier way to run your meeting. Learn more about this activity booklet and get yours today!
Be sure to also checkout these other activity booklets for Cadettes:
- Cadette Comic Artist Activity Booklet
- Cadette Finance Your Dreams Activity Booklet
- Cadette Public Speaking Activity Booklet
- Cadette Science of Happiness Activity Booklet
Other Fun Find Common Ground Activities
Rebuttal Tennis – Way to Practice Debating
This game will require the girls to think on their feet and come up with rebuttals quickly. All you will need is a list of topics and split the girls into two pairs and have them face each other. One of the girls will make a statement about the topic such as “schools should not allow us to have phones on us at all” then the other girl must make a rebuttal statement. This should go back and forth offering a rebuttal to each others statement. Each rebuttal shouldn’t be longer than a minute. When a girl can’t think of anything else they loss that round. Set a odd amount of rounds with a new topic each round.
SWITCH SIDES IF.. You will Find Some Common Ground
In this activity draw a line down middle of room, use tape or chairs, cones whatever works in the area you are meeting. Then tell girls to stand on either side of line does not matter to start. Then tell them a statement from list below. Tell the girls Switch sides if… the statement is true for you. In some cases tell girls if they switched tell someone next to them more details about why they switched. Such as if you play a instrument tell someone what kind. This is a great game to help the girls find some common ground with each other.
Here are some of the statements:
- You love to cook
- You prefer fall more than summer
- This is your First year in GS
- You prefer dogs more than cats
- You were born in (the state you live)…if you didn’t switch sides tell someone where
- You prefer spring more than winter
- You have ridden a horse
- You have lived in another state…if you switched sides tell someone where
- You prefer camping over staying in a hotel
- You have 2 or more siblings…if you switched sides tell someone if your oldest,middle, youngest?
- You have a pet… if you switched sides tell someone what pet you have and it’s name
- You prefer morning more than night
- You were named after someone…if you switched sides tell someone who
- You like to sing…if you switched tell someone you favorite song
- You prefer mountains more than beach
- You prefer to read books more than watch movies
- Play an instrument…if you switched sides tell someone what instrument you play
- You like to play sports or have played on any teams
- You prefer swimming more than sledding
- You have traveled out of the country…if you switched sides tell someone where
- You prefer washing dishes more than cleaning your room
The list can go on and on you decide how long you want to keep this activity going.
I hope these ideas help you have the most fun possible while earning the Finding Common Ground Cadette Badge.
If you don’t want to spend the time planning this badge, our Finding Common Ground Booklet has step-by-step instructions with activities that don’t require any planning other than gathering supplies and printing booklets.
What do we do after your Cadette girls complete the badge?
Well of course give them the badge to display proudly on their vest, they earned it! Additionally If you are like many leaders we want to award our girls when they complete something even beyond just the patch. One great way to show achievement is with a certificate. Don’t worry you don’t have to make them, I found a resource that has done all the work for you and all you have to do is print them and customize the certificates with each girl’s name, date and troop leader. Click here to get a complete set of Girl Scout Cadette badge and journey certificates.
More Resources For My Leader Readers
I get asked a lot what other resources are out there on the internet for Leaders. I have done some digging over the years and have used many of the resources myself. I compiled a list of some great companies that sell patches, programs and also other bloggers offering amazing resources that may fit your needs even better than my site did. Checkout what I found.
Do you want more ideas like this one right in your inbox and be the first to be notified when new activity booklets are available?
Get a 10% discount code to use in the shop and a Juliette Low “Daisy” Bingo game when you sign up for the mailing list!